Now that summer is here, we want you to be aware of some important safety tips:
- There is extreme fire danger this summer with high winds, low humidity, and high temperatures. Please take note on fireworks restrictions and use good common sense when using fireworks. Fireworks cannot be used near fields, the Jordan River, and other open public lands. (See map below) Recently an Ordinance passed by the City Council restricted these areas. Please see the UFA website for details on restrictions and fireworks safety. http://bit.ly/MInShc Better yet, come enjoy the professional fireworks at Taylorsville Dayzz and bypass residential firework parties!
- Keep all matches and lighters away from children. Teach your children to report any loose matches or lighters to an adult immediately.
- Supervise children around outdoor grills.
- Before using a grill, check the connection between the propane tank and the fuel line.
- Do not wear loose clothing while cooking at a barbecue or when handling fireworks.
- Be careful when using lighter fluid. Do not add fluid to an already lit fire because flames can flashback up into the container.
- Dispose of hot coals properly - douse them with plenty of water, and stir them to ensure that the fire is out. Never place them in plastic, paper or wooden containers.
- Never grill/barbecue in enclosed areas - carbon monoxide could be produced.
- Make sure everyone knows to Stop, Drop and Roll in case a piece of clothing does catch fire.
Have fun, but think safety!