Monday, November 18, 2013

60 Recycling Tips

As we see an increase in the landfill tipping fees, let's make a more concerted effort to recycle! It doesn't cost anything for a second recycling can, so call Wasatch Front Waste if you need one - 385-468-6325. You don't need to rinse out food containers, so recycling is easier than ever!

A new green waste subscription program begins next spring, for those who want a green vented can and weekly pick-up for yard waste. Email info@wasatchfrontwaste.org



Paper
·       Envelopes with plastic windows are recyclable
·       Recycling paper takes 60% less energy than making paper form raw materials. It also creates 74% less air pollution and 35% less water pollution.
·       Cardboard and paper waste makes up 41% of the municipal solid waste stream. All of that could have been recycled!
·       What paper cannot be recycled? Trick question... all paper can be recycled!
·       Paper towels are recyclable, as long as they are not wet or soiled. Basically, if there is a mess on the paper towel, that will in turn mess up the paper in the blue recycling can. Only lightly used and dry paper towels should be recycled.
·       Wet newspaper cannot be recycled.
·       Do you hate junk mail? Good news... you can recycle it! However, no scent strips or plastic cards, please.
·       Do you live in an apartment complex and have central mail box? Place a recycling bin at the mail box and voilĂ , all that junk mail is recycled with no hassle! Your neighbors will thank you!
·       Can you recycle hardback books? Yes, you can. Also, see if the local library needs donations.
·       Can I recycle magazines and books, even if the spines are bound by glue? Yes, you can!

Plastic
·       Americans throw away 35 billion plastic bottles every year. Instead, use a metal or other reusable water bottle. This will also save you money!
·       Only about 25% of the plastic produced in the U.S. is recycled. If we recycled the other 75%, we could save 1 billion gallons of oil. That could have been very useful last time you filled up your car.
·       A plastic bottle of drinking water contains on average 4 cents worth of water. Use a metal or other reusable water bottle and stop being overcharged.
·       By using reusable drink containers, an average person can eliminate the need for 100 disposable bottles per year. That’s a lot of money you could be saving!
·       How do I know if a plastic item is recyclable? Look for a number, 1-7, within a recycling triangle. If it has a number, it is recyclable.
·       Is Styrofoam recyclable? Yes, as long as it is clean without food waste

·       Plastic films, such as tarps or plastic wrap, are not recyclable. Although they may be made of recyclable material, these things get caught in the machinery that process materials for recycling.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.