By Kristie Overson
Katherine Ann Clark
The Purpose of the Youth Ambassador Program is to bring together high school seniors and recent high school graduates with mentors from businesses and government entities across Taylorsville. This provides mutual understanding, increases leadership skills and prepares youth to make a difference in their communities as they step into adulthood after graduation.
Youth Ambassadors learn first-hand how the city is governed, about the services provided to its residents and how each city department contributes to the quality of life for the city. They build knowledge about current issues facing the city, and develop leadership and personal skills.
The Youth Ambassador term is from January to August. Youth who successfully complete their year as Ambassadors will receive a scholarship to their university of choice or as reimbursement for school expenses like housing and/or books.
Ambassadors are required to serve in several ways such as:
- Intern for a day (or the equivalent of an 8 hour day spread out in 2-4 hour segments) in a city department, learning the workings of city government by participating in the process.
- Work with the Economic Development Department in meeting with local businesses to find out how the city government works for them and gather input on how the government can do a better job. Report on those findings in a City Council Meeting.
- Volunteer at events, including parades and local ribbon cuttings as ambassadors of the city.
- Plan and implement a service project to take place during their year as Ambassador, including coordinating with our Public Information Officer to ensure community awareness of the service project.
- Work with their high school to promote government involvement at the youth level and submit a report on how this was done.
- Provide leadership and mentoring at Youth Council Meetings, including arranging speakers and other presentations to educate the Youth Council in government processes.
The City Council members would like to wish them all the best during their term as Taylorsville City Youth Ambassadors.